Location: Dugort, Achill Island, Co. Mayo
Click for Google map: 54.007313 N, -10.030038 W
Number of headstones: 2 legible headstones
Date range: 1838 - 1844 (observed)
Recorded: all legible headstones photographed June 2013
Achill Colony Cemetery Headstones
The Colony cemetery in Dugort was part of the Achill Mission (also known as the "Colony") that was set up by Rev. Edward Nangle in 1831 as a protestant proselytising mission. The Colony included schools, cottages, hospital, orphanage, and a guest house. It was very successful for a while, but eventually closed in the 1880's, after Rev Nangle had been moved from Achill.
This small cemetery is about a quarter mile west of St Thomas' Church, but it is hidden by trees. It is marked only with the sign "Sean Reilig" meaning Old Cemetery. Only two of the old headstones were legible. One of the graves is that of coastguard officer Francis Reynolds who died in 1838 during the violent conflicts between the Catholic clergy and the Mission staff.
- To view a photo of the headstone, click on any name below.
- To return to the list, click on the photo.
- To search this page select "Edit, Find..." from the menu at the top-left of this browser window.
- To search this complete web-site, click the Search menu at the top right of this page
This website is optimized for desktop computers, it may not display well on portable devices.
Copyright notice: You are welcome to download any information or images from this website for personal use. Private individuals and
non-profit organizations may re-publish any images and original material from this website provided the purpose is not-for-profit and
due acknowledgement is given e.g. "Reproduced courtesy of www.GoldenLangan.com". Commercial organizations may not publish
or reproduce information or images from this website without written permission. Anyone is welcome to link to pages on this website.
While every effort is made to ensure accuracy of the information presented, no liability is accepted for any errors or omissions.