Antiquities around Ballycastle            An account of Ballycastle before Irish independence in 1922


Photos from around Ballycastle, Co. Mayo
Extract from "A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland" (1837) by Samuel Lewis:
BALLYCASTLE, a village, in the parish of DUNFEENY, barony of TYRAWLEY, county of MAYO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 15 miles (N. W.) from Ballina: the population is returned with the parish. This place is situated on the north-west coast, and commands a fine view of Downpatrick Head: the beach affords excellent accommodation for sea-bathing, and by the outlay of a little capital it might be made a delightful watering-place. Several improvements have already been made; many new houses have been built, a marketplace is in course of erection, and a new line of road is now being constructed through the mountains to Belmullet, which will materially add to the advantages of the place. Petty sessions are held every Wednesday; it is a constabulary and chief revenue-police station, and has six fairs in the year, and a penny post to Killala.
Looking west down Ballycastle High Street
Thomas Golden's (1917-1982) now derelict house in Doughlough, Doonfeeny Upper, vacated in 1965.
The old Kilbride National School house, built 1886
Mary's Cottage Kitchen on Ballycastle High Street,
possibly the last refreshments before Belmullet
Tom Langan Park in Ballycastle was opened in his honour in 1984
Signposts at the bottom of Ballycastle High Street
Christina & Colette Golden at Confirmation in Ballycastle c1960 pictured in the "Western People"
County Mayo's team that won the All Ireland SFC final in 1950 and 1951 at Croke Park.
Ballycastle's Tom Langan, acclaimed as "hero of the hour", is third from the right in the back row.
The 5-metre-high Standing Stone in Doonfeeny Graveyard, with Dún Briste in the background
St Bridget's Roman Catholic Church in Ballycastle
St John's (Protestant) Church on Ballycastle High Street
A view towards Heathfield House, east of Ballycastle
The picturesque Palmerstown Bridge near Killala was built c1788 by the 6 Langan brothers from Donegal,
and used by the French invaders of 1798
Looking west across the Strand (Ballycastle)
Doonfeeny church ruins, c1900
Doonfeeny church ruins, 2008
  _______________________________________________________________________________________________________

                                 Home  |  Families  | Golden  |  Langan  |  Ormsby  |  Headstones  |  Resources  |  Heritage 

                                       Maps  |  Biographies  |  Visit Mayo  |  Contact  |  Sitemap  |  Search  |  Messages

                                                             Copyright www.GoldenLangan.com 2007 - 2016

                                    This website is optimized for desktop computers, it may not display well on portable devices.
          Copyright notice: You are welcome to download any information or images from this website for personal use.  Private individuals and
            non-profit organizations may re-publish any images and original material from this website provided the purpose is not-for-profit and
            due acknowledgement is given e.g. "Reproduced courtesy of www.GoldenLangan.com".  Commercial organizations may not publish
           or reproduce information or images from this website without written permission.  Anyone is welcome to link to pages on this website. 
              While every effort is made to ensure accuracy of the information presented, no liability is accepted for any errors or omissions.

  _______________________________________________________________________________________________________